Inclusivity Action Groups: Where To Begin?
Wednesday, February 1 – 4 pm PT | 5 pm MT | 6 pm CT | 7 pm ET | 8 pm AT (2 hours)
Wednesday, April 5 – 4 pm PT | 5 pm MT | 6 pm CT | 7 pm ET | 8 pm AT (2 hours)
Wednesday, June 7 – 4 pm PT | 5 pm MT | 6 pm CT | 7 pm ET | 8 pm AT (2 hours)
It’s time to bring the 8th Principle to life and transform our communities into beacons of diversity. The CUC has several tools and opportunities to empower your journey.
Joining an action group is a chance to meet with other people interested in co-creating inclusive spaces and experiences. Action Groups introduce people with lived experience to their allies but what happens next is up to you. We’ll open each of our 3 sessions with guided discussion around implementing change, followed by ample time to dialogue and plan future actions as individuals, groups, congregations and/or Canadian UUism as whole.
Here’s how it works:
- Choose the type of inclusivity you’d like to focus on:
- Non-traditional families/relationships
- Attend each of the three networking sessions that begin with a broader discussion on the following themes: Getting Started, Moving Through Hurt, Addressing Resistance. In breakout rooms, you will grouped up with those with the same area of focus.
- With your group, determine an action you’d like to take together or separately. For instance:
- Deepen your learning together
- Initiate a discussion within group/congregation using forum materials or something similar
- Begin to address specific barriers to inclusion
- Establish a national, regional, or local group for people with lived experience
- Create something to promote a specific type of inclusivity (i.e. poem, music, sermon, slide show, favorite songs with inclusive lyrics)
- Choose one or more actions from the Intersectional Welcoming Guide
- Provide feedback on the Intersectional Welcoming Guide
- Return to the larger group and share learnings/resources
- After the initial 3 sessions are finished, decide if/how you’d like to continue to connect with one another