CUC Resolutions Process
The CUC Resolutions Process guides all motions that are intended to be discussed and approved at an Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the Canadian Unitarian Council, except motions relating to parliamentary and statutory procedures at such a meeting.
Key Dates Each Year
- The deadline for submission of resolutions is December 15, prior to the AGM at which they will be considered.
- Resolutions are distributed to congregations by January 15.
- Written comments to the proponents are invited until February 28.
- Amended resolutions are distributed to congregations by March 15.
What’s Involved in Submitting a Resolution?
- Read the CUC Resolutions Process (pdf). This detailed description of the resolutions process includes information on who can propose a resolution, and what happens after a proposal is submitted.
- Check to see if your intended topic is already covered by a previously approved resolution on the CUC Implementation of Resolutions document or the list of previously approved CUC resolutions.
- Find out why new resolutions may not be necessary, in this response from CUC Parliamentarian on the submission of new resolutions for the 2015 AGM. If your topic is already covered, you probably don’t need a new resolution. For example, if your congregations wants CUC to take action on ensuring all Canadians have access to clean water, this was addressed in the 2015 resolution on Right to Clean Air, Water and Soil. Previously approved resolutions continue to guide our actions and inform our policies.
- Consult with the Executive Director BEFORE you submit a resolution. This will save you time. Email email@example.com.
- Submit a resolution only if: a) there is no previous resolution and it addresses a completely new issue; b) is of national importance; and c) is timely. Please use the provided Resolutions Form; you will also need to submit an Proposed Action Plan for Resolutions at the same time.
- Confirm that all the criteria have been met and all steps have been completed on the handy CUC Resolutions Flow Chart (pdf).
- Email your completed documents to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 15.
At-A-Glance Resolutions Resources:
- CUC Resolutions Process (pdf)
- CUC Resolutions Flow Chart (pdf)
- CUC Implementation of Resolutions-pdf
- CUC Resolutions (1963-present) page to individual pdfs
- Resolutions Form (Word)
- Proposed Action Plan for Resolutions (Word)
Resolutions Process Background