New Religious Educators
Are you a new religious educator? Welcome!
Here are our top ten pieces of advice:
- Join the Liberal Religious Educators Association (LREDA) and subscribe to its mailing list.
- Join the Canadian UU Religious Educators (CUURE), the Canadian chapter of LREDA. Please fill out the form below.
- You’ll be added to the CUC’s email list for religious educators—introduce yourself there and connect with your colleagues!
- Connect with the CUC directors for congregational life for your region:
• British Columbia and Western: Joan Carolyn, email@example.com, 204-960-4944
• Central and Eastern: Rev. Linda Thomson, firstname.lastname@example.org, 905-332-3851
- Check out the Professional Learning Units for Staff (PLUS) program of the UUA, which is designed for new congregational staff.
- See if your congregation has a copy of The R.E. Road Map. Although a bit dated (published in 2003), it’s a useful collection of resources and samples for administering and enriching an RE program. If you don’t have a copy, you can buy a PDF from the author.
- The Unitarian Universalist Association has excellent RE resources, including free curricula, professional development opportunities, and helpful program staff.
- Take advantage of educational webinars offered by the CUC and by the UUA’s Faith Development Office. You can attend them live or read and watch transcripts and recordings.
- Attend your regional gatherings, LREDA’s fall conference, and the national CUC Conference and CUURE Days whenever you can!
- Love the people, love what you do, watch your hours, foster healthy boundaries, maintain your own spiritual practice, find balance, and connect with your colleagues.