Jobs and Volunteering
Directors of Religious Exploration (DRE)
The Grand River Unitarian Congregation is looking to hire two Directors of Religious Exploration.
Do you have experience nurturing and leading children and youth? Do you believe in fairness and equity? Are you looking for part-time work that will fill your heart? The Grand River Unitarian Congregation (GRU) is currently looking for two Directors of Religious Exploration (DRE) to bring their energy and enthusiasm to promote Unitarian Universalist philosophy and principles to our children and youth in a dynamic environment where children can explore, learn, and build community. The DRE works with other staff and volunteers to create meaningful programs in a safe environment.
This role requires big-picture strategic planning and coordinating, managing details and hands-on program delivery. Duties include:
Programming and Curriculum
- Ensuring familiarity with liberal religious curriculum available through the Canadian Unitarian Council and Unitarian Universalist Association selecting appropriate curriculum for GRU and tailoring programs to meet congregational objectives for each age group.
- Plan for and maintain supplies for each of the programs.
- Plan and arrange Story for All Ages for Sunday Services, and leading opening and closing rituals for the children’s program.
- Create welcome orientation for families in September including registration process and communicating protocols for families including fall orientation program for parents.
Volunteer Management/Education and Training
- Recruit, train, schedule, oversee volunteers assisting with RE Programming including RE teachers and childcare providers. Clarify role expectation of teachers and helpers. Oversee teaching in the program and assist with problem-solving.
- Build within the frame of the programming good classroom management and support good classroom management techniques with volunteers.
- Hire and supervise nursery staff. Recruit volunteers/hires for Playtime Sundays in July and August.
- Teach at least 3 Sundays a month.
- Arrange for annual Teacher/Volunteer appreciation recognition event.
Communication and Publicity
- Engage families and the congregation in RE events and programming through timely communication in Newsletters, worship announcements and email blasts.
- Maintain ongoing communication with parents via email and Facebook
- Maintain monthly statistics on RE programs, provide written reports to the Board monthly.
- Maintain Children’s program budget, expenses, files and records.
Safety Protocol Management
- Ensure all safety protocols are up-to-date and maintained including the maintenance of criminal record checks, and all mandated and recertification training is completed and recorded.
- Provide input into congregational planning process as requested.
- Attended annual Leadership meeting
- Attend Annual General Meeting
A full job description is available upon request.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Grand River Unitarian Congregation is a spiritual community committed to diversity in our hiring practices; we encourage those who experience marginalization because of race or ethnic background, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, socio-economic background, or other factors to apply.
Deadline: until the posts are filled
Please check back for upcoming volunteer opportunities with the CUC.