Jobs and Volunteering
First Unitarian Fellowship of Nanaimo: Ministerial Search
The First Unitarian Fellowship of Nanaimo (FUFON) is looking for a half time consulting minister to lead us into the future. We are located on beautiful Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada in a region with a population of 160,942. As an affordable harbour town, Nanaimo offers residents the west coast lifestyle with breathtaking scenery, a mild climate, outdoor recreational activities, a vibrant arts scene, and a burgeoning local food culture.
The Minister We Are Looking For
We seek someone who can help us achieve our desired future! That means our ideal minister will be growth-oriented, forward thinking, and charismatic. We desire sermons to inspire and challenge us intellectually that are followed by warm interactions as we invest time and energy in getting to know each other. Our survey respondents identified three duties as most important for our next minister: (1) Sunday Sermons; (2) Building Community Within the Fellowship; and (3) Expansion of Membership and Vitality. When asked how the minister should prioritize ministerial responsibilities, these same themes appear with the number one priority being Spiritual Leadership; the second, Congregational Growth and Leadership; and the third, Facilitation.
While we want to be entranced by your sermons, struck by your warmth and charm, and delighted with your ability to attract new folks to our doors, it is only fair that we share with you challenges you may face with our congregation. After all, we are a mature and gifted group. And, while we express desire for change, we will still want to keep many of our long-standing traditions. Change may be hard for us at times. You, as our spiritual leader, will need to engage us in creating that future even as you guide us. Survey respondents suggested that you, as our minister, will need to be comfortable with a shared leadership role and competent and experienced in managing conflict in constructive ways. We seek a leader who will walk side-by-side with us on our journey and be willing to go all in.
If this sounds like a good fit for you, we would love to speak with you. Interested candidates can reach the Search Committee by emailing the Committee Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional congregational survey information is available upon request and more information about FUFON is available on UUA’s Settlement System.
The Liberal Religious Educators Association (LREDA) is looking to hire an experienced bookkeeper to deal with all financial aspects of our organization. The position is available to anyone within the United States or Canada as most of the work can be done remotely.
The bookkeeper will be responsible for:
- Developing a system to account for financial transactions by establishing a chart of accounts; defining bookkeeping policies and procedures.
- Maintaining a cashbook and making payments as required.
- Inputting financial data into QuickBooks Online
- Handling the payroll
- Preparing all relevant tax forms for a non-profit organization (such as Form 990) and preparing the annual tax donation letters for donors.
- Preparing monthly financial statements, including correctly accounting for all transactions in and out of our permanently and temporarily restricted fund accounts.
For the first three months the Bookkeeper will be employed for 30 hours per month, in order to allow time to set up an accounting system. After that the hours will be reduced to about 20 hours per month (negotiable) for completing routine tasks.
The Bookkeeper will work closely with and be supported by our Administrator, Development Director and Treasurer.
Key Skills and Abilities:
- Understands double entry bookkeeping and fund accounting
- Able to set-up and maintain an accounting system within QuickBooks Online
- Knowledge of and ability to process payroll
- Ability to prepare all necessary tax forms for a non-profit organization
- Computer literate, able to use Excel and be competent with various online financial software
- Good interpersonal skills
- Detail oriented, thorough and precise
- Our ideal candidate will be a supporter of Unitarian Universalism, with an understanding of our organization, its goals, and mission.
To apply please send a resume and cover letter to Juliet Donaldson (email@example.com).
LREDA aims to be a fair compensation employer according to the UUA’s Fair Compensation guidelines.
As part of our recruitment process we’ll be performing background checks and requesting references.
LREDA is the professional support organization for Unitarian Universalist religious educators, with about 500 members distributed throughout the US and Canada. For more information about our organization please visit, https://lreda.memberclicks.net
Please check back for upcoming volunteer opportunities with the CUC.