Jobs and Volunteering
CUC Parliamentarian – Volunteer Position
The CUC is looking for its next Parliamentarian. Is this you or someone you know? This individual must have:
● A working knowledge of the current Roberts’ Rules of Order, and of the CUC General ByLaw;
● Experience in chairing formal meetings;
● Expertise in drafting formal parliamentary documents such as resolutions and bylaw amendments
● Ability to remain impartial;
● Good oral and written communication skills.
Download the Terms of Reference for the CUC Parliamentarian (pdf).
Apply with a summary of qualifications and relevant experience by October 31, 2019 to the CUC Board President at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director of Lefespan Learning (DLL)
The Unitarian Congregation in Mississauga (UCM) is a spiritual community rooted in the values of interdependence, love, and justice, with about 130 members and 25 children and youth. Website: uucm.ca
This is part-time permanent position, 20 hours per week (including Sundays), 4 weeks of vacation and 4 weeks of paid study time; 8 Sundays off between September and June. Salary range $20,000 – 22,000 and benefits.
The successful candidate will lead and inspire children and youth in the Spiritual Exploration (SE) Program; facilitate Adult Spiritual Development activities; and create a warm and welcoming community for UCM families.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong communication skills;
- A warm and engaging presence;
- The ability to connect with diverse identities, including age, race, sexual orientation, and gender expression;
- Skills in story-telling, group facilitation, developing engaging learning activities;
- A degree or equivalent experience in education and/or arts & science; and
- Competence in technology with an emphasis on social media.
UCM is located at 84 South Service Road, Mississauga, L5G 2R9 just east of Hurontario St.
The deadline for applications is Wednesday, September 18, midnight.
Interested candidates should reply with an expression of interest and CV to email@example.com
Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Durham – Director of Religious Education
Seeking a dynamic, creative, and caring Director of Religious Exploration for kids and youth! This is a part-time position of approximately 6 hours per week from September 2019 to June 2020, with the expectation of renewal for future years.
The Director of Religious Exploration (DRE) will plan, organize, and implement our congregation’s programs for children and youth, in consultation with the Religious Exploration Committee, Minister, Youth Advisors, parents, and other congregational leaders. The DRE is also responsible for training, supporting, and recognizing program assistants and volunteers, assisting with planning children’s and intergenerational worship and activities, and administrative and financial management of the program. Personal and professional development is valued by UUCD and will be part of the position.
Most programming happens on Sundays between 10 am and 1 pm, with occasional special events. Planning and organizing hours are flexible and off-site.
More information: UUCD Director of Religious Education job description
Unitarian Congregation of Guelph – Contract Minister 25%
Initial One-year term with a possibility to renew, depending on finances and congregational support. Initial One-year term with a possibility to renew, depending on finances and congregational support. Start Date – to be mutually agreed to, anticipate Fall 2019.
25% with the understanding that actual contracts can look like whatever is agreeable to both parties. Will likely involve additional hours in the Fall/Winter and more time off in the summer. Could be additional 2-3 weeks off during the year to increase the hours on other weeks. There are many possibilities to structure.
Primary areas of focus for the minister in this position
- Facilitate and co-create inspiring outcomes from recent congregational strategy sessions:
- a five-year plan to generate growth that will sustain a more vibrant congregation
- increased capacity for pastoral care
- professional support and guidance for staff
Download the position description: UUA Minister Posting 20 June 2019
Phone: Forrest Smith (519) 803-3723
Address: The Unitarian Congregation of Guelph, 122 Harris St. Guelph Ont. N1E 5T1
Comox Valley Unitarian Fellowship – Music Director
Applications Now Being Accepted
Experience leading singing and providing musical accompaniment, as well as offering other music at Unitarian community gatherings on first and third Sundays each month (September to June), $100/Sunday. Music to reflect Unitarian Universalist values. See the position description. Applications for this position are to be sent to the Administrative Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your contact information, relevant experience, and a letter stating why you think you would be suited for this position given its responsibilities. Deadline for application: June 20.
The Unitarian Fellowship of Peterborough strives to provide Religious Exploration (RE) programming for children and youth that is welcoming and inclusive, that encourages spiritual growth and development, and grounds our children and youth in Unitarian Universalist principles and values.
We are a liberal congregation seeking a Director of Religious Exploration (DRE) for child and youth programming. The position is 15 hours per week and includes most Sunday mornings.
We’re looking for the following skills, attributes, and knowledge:
- Knowledge of Unitarian Universalism
- A ‘people person’…with an ability to connect in the interest of an inclusive community of children, youth and adults
- Skilled at group facilitation and developing hands-on experiential and inclusive learning
- Ability to work as a team member with volunteers, committees, other staff, and the Board
- Strong communication, interpersonal and networking skills
- Ability to use word processing, email, internet and social networking (e.g. Facebook, groups/forums, web calendars etc)
- Solid organizational and event coordination skills
- Desire to continuously learn…about child development, justice issues, etc.
- Willingness to improve and expand knowledge and skills as necessary and appropriate
- Hold the vision for a program that honours the inherent worth, creativity, and light within each child/youth
- Plan and facilitate RE programming in collaboration with the RE Facilitator and volunteers
- Oversee program to ensure an environment that is fun, respectful, and safe
- Be the hub of communication for families and participants
- Manage program budget, administrative records, resources and equipment
- Supervise RE Facilitator and Playroom Staff
$17.00 to $18.00 per hour, based on experience. Position requires a Criminal Record (vulnerable sector) check. More information available at www.peterboroughunitarian.ca
Please apply to the DRE Hiring Committee at email@example.com.
Include a resume and a cover letter expressing your interest and qualifications.
Deadline for applications: May 12, 2019.
Unitarian Fellowship of Peterborough
171A Rink St., Suite 266
Beacon Unitarian Church Looking for .66 FTE Minister
Position description: Title: Contract Minister .66 FTE
Anticipated starting date: Aug 1, 2019
As a congregation without a church building, Sundays are critical times for the congregation to come together. Beacon is looking for a minister who is gifted at crafting services and providing meaningful, thoughtful and heartfelt reflections. In the first year or two of the new minister’s contract, the congregation would like support with some interim duties such as evaluating the effectiveness of our organizational structure and the balance and focus of the work carried out by the minister and lay leadership.
Beacon Unitarian is in New Westminster, BC. New Westminster is located on the Burrard Peninsula, mainly on the north bank of the Fraser River. It is 19 kilometers (12 mi) southeast of the City of Vancouver proper. Their full membership comes from a wider area identified as an ethnically diverse region.
The Grand River Unitarian Congregation is seeking two Directors of Religious Exploration
Do you have experience nurturing and leading children and youth? Do you believe in fairness and equity? Are you looking for part-time work that will fill your heart? The Grand River Unitarian Congregation (GRU) is currently looking for two Directors of Religious Exploration (DRE) to bring their energy and enthusiasm to promote Unitarian Universalist philosophy and principles to our children and youth in a dynamic environment where children can explore, learn, and build community. The DRE works with other staff and volunteers to create meaningful programs in a safe environment.
This role requires big-picture strategic planning and coordinating, managing details and hands-on program delivery. Duties include:
Programming and Curriculum
- Ensuring familiarity with liberal religious curriculum available through the Canadian Unitarian Council and Unitarian Universalist Association selecting appropriate curriculum for GRU and tailoring programs to meet congregational objectives for each age group.
- Plan for and maintain supplies for each of the programs.
- Plan and arrange Story for All Ages for Sunday Services, and leading opening and closing rituals for the children’s program.
- Create welcome orientation for families in September including registration process and communicating protocols for families including fall orientation program for parents.
Volunteer Management/Education and Training
- Recruit, train, schedule, oversee volunteers assisting with RE Programming including RE teachers and childcare providers. Clarify role expectation of teachers and helpers. Oversee teaching in the program and assist with problem-solving.
- Build within the frame of the programming good classroom management and support good classroom management techniques with volunteers.
- Hire and supervise nursery staff. Recruit volunteers/hires for Playtime Sundays in July and August.
- Teach at least 3 Sundays a month.
- Arrange for annual Teacher/Volunteer appreciation recognition event.
Communication and Publicity
- Engage families and the congregation in RE events and programming through timely communication in Newsletters, worship announcements and email blasts.
- Maintain ongoing communication with parents via email and Facebook
- Maintain monthly statistics on RE programs, provide written reports to the Board monthly.
- Maintain Children’s program budget, expenses, files and records.
Safety Protocol Management
- Ensure all safety protocols are up-to-date and maintained including the maintenance of criminal record checks, and all mandated and recertification training is completed and recorded.
- Provide input into congregational planning process as requested.
- Attended annual Leadership meeting
- Attend Annual General Meeting
A full job description is available upon request.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Grand River Unitarian Congregation is a spiritual community committed to diversity in our hiring practices; we encourage those who experience marginalization because of race or ethnic background, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, socio-economic background, or other factors to apply.
Deadline: until the posts are filled
Please check back for upcoming volunteer opportunities with the CUC.