The CUC’s Congregational Life Team works with staff of the Unitarian Universalist Association to assist member congregations with issues relating to staffing and employment. It is our privilege to join you as you explore your vision for ministry and how a religious professional may walk with you.
Please connect with us regarding
- Fair compensation: Contact the UUA Transitions Office’s consultants for Canada. The Canadian Compensation consultants are Barry Coburn and Nicoline Guerrier, and you can reach them at email@example.com.
- Human resources and staffing manuals: Congregations should have such manuals, with information about evaluation processes, terms of employment, grievance procedures, vacation and parental leave, and other important matters. These examples offer ideas for structure and content:
- Personnel policy manual of the First Unitarian Congregation of Toronto
- Personnel handbook of the First Unitarian Church of Victoria
- Staff handbook of the Unitarian Church of Vancouver
- Sabbatical planning: Congregations, where a religious professional will be on sabbatical, must consider financial concerns and how to cover the person’s responsibilities.
- Assessing how your staff and congregation function and minister together
Search processes and search committees
- Search committee retreats, helping them as they begin the work
- Fair compensation information and consultants
- Posting information on open positions
- Sample contracts
- Help in hiring religious professionals from outside Canada
- Start-up workshop for congregations and religious professionals as they enter into or renew contracts
- Exit interviews for religious professionals
- Transition interviews for congregational boards when religious professionals leave
The UU religious professional associations also provide valuable information, support, networking, and other resources.
UU Ministers of Canada (UUMOC)
Liberal Religious Educators Association (LREDA) and Canadian UU Religious Educators (CUURE)
UU Ministers Association (UUMA)
UU Association of Membership Professionals (UUAMP)