CUC’s 60th Anniversary Weekend
Friday, November 26 – Sunday, November 28, 2021
The CUC was launched on May 14, 1961, when about 50 Unitarian Universalists from Halifax to Vancouver voted the Canadian Unitarian Council into being. Our journey to 2021 has been eventful, filled with significant milestones in human rights and social justice areas. During this weekend, we recognize and honour the work of those who have laid the foundations for our Canadian UU faith community, and press on to the work that remains to be done to bring us to a world in which our interdependence calls us to love and justice.
Overview of the weekend:
Friday, November 26:
- Elder’s Circle with Stephen Paquette: – 1:00pm PT | 2:00pm MT | 3:00pm CT | 4:00pm ET | 5:00 pm AT (1.5 hours)
CUC Elder-in Residence Stephen Paquette holds a webinar on decolonization and we invite you to join him in this conversation. Zoom link
- Regional Gatherings – these will be opportunities for UUs to connect within their own regions, enjoy music, and ponder some questions and topics in common.
- BC Region Gathering (all BC congregations) – 7:00 – 8:30 pm PT. Hosted by Joan Carolyn. BC Zoom link
- Western Region Gathering (Albert, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Thunder Bay, ON) – 6:00 – 7:30 pm MT | 7:00 – 8:30 pm CT. Hosted by Casey Stainsby. Western Zoom link
- Central Region Gathering (Ontario, except for congregations in Kingston, Ottawa and Quebec) – 7:00 – 8:30 pm ET. Hosted by Linda Thomson. Central Zoom link
- Eastern Region Gathering (Kingston, Ottawa, Quebec, Atlantic provinces) – 6:00 – 7:30 pm ET | 7:00 – 8:30 pm AT. Hosted by Danielle Webber. Eastern Zoom link
- Saturday, November 27:
- CUC Special Meeting – 12:00 – 2:30 pm ET. This meeting takes place to discuss and vote on the proposed 8th Principle for “Individual and communal action that accountably dismantles racism and systemic barriers to full inclusion in ourselves and our institutions.” Information for the Special Meeting is found in this Google folder
- CUC 60th Anniversary Recognition – 4:00 – 6:00 pm ET. Join us for a retrospective on the past 60 years, captured on video with first-hand and personal accounts by UUs who were significant contributors to the CUC’s journey – Mark Morrison-Reed, Kim Turner, Mary Bennett, Kathleen Hunter – to name a few. This will be followed by a conversation with the lUUminaries who were part of the video. This is a moment in history you’ll want to be present for!
- Sunday, November 28: National Sunday Service – 10 am PT / 11 am MT / 12 pm CT / 1 pm ET / 2 pm AT. Led by youth and young adults, this service’s theme is “Change is Nature” with original music by Eleuthera Diconca-Lippert from the Unitarian Church of Montreal. Come for a delightful and spiritual experience!
The Sunday Service will be live-streamed on the CUC’s YouTube channel.