- Congregational Lay Chaplaincy Manual (pdf) Complete guide for organizing your congregation’s lay chaplaincy program
- Guidelines for wearing stoles
- Lay Chaplaincy Committee Roles and Responsibilities (pdf) An outline of the responsibilities for the congregational lay chaplaincy committee
- Pamphlets about the Lay Chaplaincy program are available for purchase in the CUC Store
Fee Assessment Information
In order to subsidize lay chaplaincy training and enrichment opportunities, a fee is assessed for each rite of passage performed by lay chaplains; these fees are collected into the Lay Chaplain Training Fund and used for training.
Lay chaplaincy program evaluation kits:
Recruiting Lay Chaplains
- Information for Recruiting Lay Chaplains (pdf) Guidelines for lay chaplaincy committees and board members recruiting new lay chaplains or committee members
- Lay Chaplaincy Model Interview Form (pdf)*
- Model Contract (pdf) (for congregational use)*
*Please revise to suit the needs of your congregation
Lay Chaplaincy Application Process*
Only member congregations can apply to the CUC on behalf of prospective lay chaplains. Please consult the Lay Chaplain Manual for detailed instructions on how to register Lay Chaplains. The following Checklist and Flowchart offer a summary of the process for registering lay chaplains.
*Please note that the process is different in Quebec, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island, where congregations may apply directly to the province to register lay chaplains.
If at all possible please use the online forms or download the files and submit by e-mail. With the exception of the registration form for Ontario Marriages, please do not print and mail forms unless necessary.
- Lay Chaplain Registration and Endorsement On-line Form: To be filled out by Congregation Contact Person/Lay Chaplain Supervisor NOT the prospective Lay Chaplain
- Additional Form for Ontario (pdf)To be filled out by the Lay Chaplain (original signed copies to be sent to CUC office). Please note that this Ontario Government form has to be mailed in as Vital Statistics needs original signatures. It also needs to be signed by a witness – this can be a member of your board or congregation.
- Lay Chaplain Application On-line Form: To be filled out by the Lay Chaplain
If you are not able to use the online forms, please mail/email these forms to the CUC Toronto Office:
RE: Lay Chaplaincy
Canadian Unitarian Council
215 Spadina Avenue, Suite 400
Toronto, ON M5T 2C7
- Online Annual Renewal Form To be filled in at the start of each new year, confirming the Congregation’s ongoing relationship with the lay chaplain
- Reaffirmation Form (pdf) To be sent in with the Annual Renewal Form
If you need assistance or more information, send an email to email@example.com.
Use the following form when wanting to cancel a lay chaplain’s license.
Canadian Unitarian Council Lay Chaplaincy Resolutions
Lay Chaplaincy Resolution – 2012 in two parts:
- One-year term extension for lay chaplains in small, lay-led congregations in specific circumstances; and
- Reappointments for lay chaplains in small, lay-led congregations according to certain criteria.