~~ Registration is now open until January 4th ~~
Become a facilitator for Our Whole Lives sexuality education – junior high and high school levels (grades 7-9 and 10-12)! Registration is open until Friday, January 4.
The upcoming training – January 11-13, 2019 – is hosted by the Unitarian Church of Vancouver and is open to Canadians and Americans. OWL facilitator training provides theoretical and hands on training to facilitate Our Whole Lives program for teens. We welcome those from outside the Unitarian Universalist tradition who would like to run OWL programs in schools, camps or other settings – this training is a requirement for using OWL curricula and materials.
Rev. Samaya Oakley and Rev. Chris Wulff are both seasoned trainers with considerable OWL experience – it is sure to be an enriching training!
- Location: Unitarian Church of Vancouver – 949 49th Avenue West, Vancouver, BC
- Dates: Friday, January 11, 12:30 pm – Sunday, January 13, 12:30 pm
- Participants must attend the whole training and complete the group teaching activities in order to be approved as an OWL facilitator.
- Cost: $250 CAD per participant
- fee includes 3 training days and all handouts
- 4 meals included – Friday dinner, Saturday lunch and dinner, Sunday lunch, snacks and coffee/tea during the weekend
- participants must bring their own OWL books for the levels they are training
- Payment options: Paypal (credit or debit) or by phone with a credit card
- Registration: Complete the form, embedded below on this page. Registration is open until January 4 (midnight Pacific Time).
- Trainers: Rev. Samaya Oakley and Rev. Christopher Wulff
- Accommodation: some home hospitality is available with local congregation members – please choose this option on registration form and you will be contacted.
Contact: Kiersten Moore, Director of Religious Education at the Unitarian Church of Vancouver – email@example.com
The Our Whole Lives program:
Our Whole Lives is a comprehensive, fact-based program helps participants make informed and responsible decisions about their sexual health and behaviour throughout the lifespan. With a holistic approach, Our Whole Lives provides accurate, developmentally appropriate information about a range of topics, including relationships, gender identity, sexual orientation, sexual health, and cultural influences on sexuality. Grade 7-9 and 10-12 OWL helps teens understand and explore these topics and more, through engaging and interactive workshops that build trust and confidence.
The Grade 7-9 curriculum was updated in 2014 – read about the 2nd edition content here. A second edition of the Grade 10-12 curriculum is currently in the works, with piloting planned for early 2019. All those who are trained with the first edition of the curriculum will be able to teach the new edition as well.
Our Whole Lives is developed and managed by the Unitarian Universalist Association and the United Church of Christ, who whole the joint copyright for all program materials.
What to bring:
Participants must bring their own OWL books (usually borrowed from your congregation):
- Our Whole Lives, Grades 10-12 (2000) – Bookstore link here
- Our Whole Lives, Grades 7-9 – 2nd Edition (2014) – Bookstore link here
- Sexuality and Our Faith, Grades 10-12 (2000) – Bookstore link here
- Sexuality and Our Faith, Grades 7-9 – 2nd Edition (2014) – Bookstore link here
Note: the 2nd edition of the Grade 10-12 curriculum and Sexuality and our Faith books are coming out in 2019, so that may impact your decision to purchase new OWL books before the training.
The trainers will be in touch with registrants to let you know what else you should bring to the training.