What is Sharing Our Faith?
The Sharing Our Faith program provides funds for congregational initiatives which enhance ministry, aid projects and outreach for the congregation, and enhance the Unitarian Universalist movement in Canada. Once a year, congregations are encouraged to hold a “Sharing Our Faith” worship service focused on the UU faith in Canada, with a special collection for the Sharing Our Faith fund. The fund consists of these monies, and from a Foundation Fund administered by the First Unitarian Congregation of Toronto. The funds are allocated in the form of grants to congregations for growth projects and initiatives.
Grant applications are due by March 31 of each year with all required documents. Completed applications can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org – electronic copies are preferred. Please note that SOF grants are normally under $5,000. For a larger grant, your congregation may want to consider applying for the Northern Lights award.
Sharing Our Faith Worship and Collection
Annually, the CUC provides materials to help congregations prepare for this service to celebrate the larger Canadian UU community.
The 2018 Sharing Our Faith package focuses on “Radical Hospitality & Racial Justice”. A new vision for Canadian Unitarian Universalism was affirmed at the CUC Annual General Meeting in May 2016. As Canadian Unitarian Universalists: seven principles guide our choices, six sources nourish our spirits, and five aspirations help us grow. Our second aspiration calls us to be: Radically Inclusive – We strive to create hospitable, diverse, multi-generational communities. These worship materials offer ways for UU congregations to live into that aspiration.
The 2018 package was compiled by Rev. Anne Barker and Rosemary Morrison.
Organizing a Sharing Our Faith Service: Guidelines for preparing the service and collecting the special offering
Resources from previous years:
- 2017 Love and Justice PDF | Word doc
- 2016 Truth, Healing and Reconciliation PDF | Word doc | Express yUUrself Flame Template
- 2014 Sharing Our Faith resource package (pdf) | Word doc
- 2013 Web of UU connections (pdf) | Word doc
- 2012 Trust the Dawning Future (pdf)
- 2011 Supporting One Another (pdf)
- 2009 Our National Identity (pdf)
- 2006 Go-4-It! (pdf)
- 2005 Getting to Know U and U (pdf)
- 2003 Our First Year on Our Own (pdf)
Since 2001, Sharing Our Faith has awarded over $181,000 to congregations. Initiatives include:
- Support for part-time professional ministry
- Communication, publicity and increasing visibility
- Religious education and music programs
- Youth programs
See the complete list of SOF grants awarded from 2001-2017 here (pdf).