CanUUdle is the annual youth con for Canadian UU youth who are 14-20 and their adult advisors. As always, it was a beautiful weekend where youth and adults created an amazing community, worshiped together, grew as spiritual beings and joined in multigen activities. It was full of fun, laughter, games, discussion, thought, and above all, love and friendship (the special kind that can only be found in the UU community!).
42 youth participated in CanUUdle this year, which had a special focus on the youth community because there was no accompanying adult conference. Here are reflections from two of them.
Ben Bradt, Unitarian Church of Calgary
- The warm fuzzies. positive notes written to friends and other con people;
- The feeling of acceptance. No matter how you were born or what you like, respect flows like a sprinkler on plants;.
- Cuddle puddles, allowing so much human contact with little afterthought;
- Hug buttons, letting you quickly ask for small doses of said contact;
- The workshops, letting you customize your experience and possibly make something of colours and feelings;
- The right to pass on anything you did not feel you wanted to do.
High points in rough order:
- Arrival, seeing the many people i had met over the past few years all in one room;
- Being consolidated into touch groups, giving new people a backup group to socialize with and experienced people a way to focus how they contribute.
- The meaningful conversation which con allows, both in selection of people and ability to open up;
- The friendliness of kitchen staff, allowing those using their right to pass to help them Sunday;
- The angel wash. being able to walk with trust in not your eyes, but your friends. being able to be embraced at every turn with arms and emotion, to hear people’s thoughts of you, halfway shrouded by anonymity.
- The car wash, being given a large note to remember not just one person, but the entire con by;
- The car ride home, seeing how i inspired my friends to go to more.
Alex Trefzger, Kingston Unitarian Fellowship (a youth worship coordinator)
CanUUdle 2017 was my favourite UU con experience so far. Without the adjoining ACM adult conference it was less rigid and very youth oriented which suited our theme of youth empowerment very well. The worships that I helped to put on and the workshops chosen all added to the general feel of “we can do so much”. I also really loved the Sunday service that we attended and how they tried to fit into our theme, it really gave us a connection to the congregation who was hosting us.