Please note: the UUA is in the process of updating the Welcoming Congregations program. This website page will be updated to the current information soon. You can find information on the program on the UUA Welcoming congregations webpage.
If you are applying for the Welcoming Congregations Renewal Program, please use the Congregation ID number *0000.
The Welcoming Congregation Program is a volunteer program for Unitarian Universalist congregations that want to take active steps to become more welcoming and inclusive of individuals with marginalized sexual orientation and gender identities.
The program grew out of the recognition of existing prejudice and ignorance about LBGTQ (lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender and queer) people in UU’ism resulting in exclusion from our congregations.
The program was developed by the Unitarian Universalist Association. Congregations must complete the Welcoming Congregation program and pass a congregational vote to affirm that they welcome the membership and active participation of the LGBTQ community. 99 percent of Canadian congregations are welcoming congregations.
Living the Welcoming Congregation
This program was developed by the Unitarian Universalist Association for congregations who have completed the Welcoming Congregation program and want to continue work in this area.
CUC encourages all congregations to actively support and participate in Pride events. To learn more about what’s happening across Canada, join the cuc-pride email list, by sending a blank email to email@example.com
Welcoming Congregation Resources
- Welcoming Congregation program of the UUA
- Borrow the Welcoming Congregation curriculum from our Lifespan Learning Library by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
- Welcoming Congregation pamphlet (pdf) – available for $25/100. You are welcome to use the Welcoming Congregation symbol on your congregation’s website and material
- Welcoming Congregation Refresher Program – recommended every five years to help your congregation recommit to inclusive practices & include newer-comers
- Deepening Your Welcome – further practices on living inclusive and radical hospitality for congregations
- Living the Welcoming Congregation – a next-step program developed by the UUA for congregations who have completed the Welcoming Congregation program and wish to explore the next level.
- How to Run the Welcoming Congregation Program (pdf)– There is no one way to run a program. It is meant to be created and planned by a congregational team to suit the needs and circumstances of your congregation. However, there are certain requirements.
|Unitarian Church of Edmonton||1992|
|Unitarian Church of Vancouver||1995|
|Lakehead Unitarian Fellowship||1995 & renewed 2011|
|First Unitarian Universalist Church of Winnipeg||1996|
|Unitarian Fellowship of Kelowna||1997|
|Unitarian Church of Montréal||1998|
|First Unitarian Congregation of Toronto||1998 & renewed 2008
|First Unitarian Congregation of Ottawa||1998 & renewed 2010
|First Unitarian Church of Hamilton||1998|
|Capital Unitarian Universalist Congregation||1999|
|Unitarian Congregation of Saskatoon||2000|
|Unitarian Church of Calgary||2000|
|First Unitarian Church of Victoria||2001|
|Unitarian Fellowship of London||2001 & renewed 2021|
|Unitarian Congregation of Guelph||2001
|Comox Valley Unitarian Fellowship||2003
|Beacon Unitarian Church||2004|
|North Shore Unitarian Church||2004
|Kingston Unitarian Fellowship||2004
|Grand River Unitarian Congregation||2005|
|Universalist Unitarian Church of Halifax||2005
|Unitarian Congregation in Mississauga|
(formerly Unitarian Congregation of South Peel)
|Unitarian Universalist Church of North Hatley||2005|
|Unitarian Fellowship of Fredericton||2005|
|Unitarian Fellowship of Sarnia-Port Huron||2005|
|Westwood Unitarian Congregation||2006|
|Avalon Unitarian Fellowship||2006|
|Unitarian Universalist Church of Saint John||2006|
|Don Heights Unitarian Congregation||2006|
|Unitarian Fellowship of Salt Spring Island||2007|
|Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Kamloops||2007|
|Unitarian Congregation of Niagara||2008|
|Neighbourhood Unitarian Universalist Congregation||2008|
|Unitarian Fellowship of Peterborough||2008|
|South Fraser Unitarian Congregation||2008|
|Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Ottawa||2008|
|Lakeshore Unitarian Universalist Congregation||2009
|Huronia Unitarian Fellowship||2009|
|Unitarian Fellowship of Regina||2010|
|Elora and Fergus Unitarian Church||2010|
|Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Durham||2010
|Unitarian Fellowship of Northwest Toronto||2011|
|Unitarian Universalist Church of Olinda||2014|
|First Unitarian Fellowship of Nanaimo||2016|