Project Outline – Young Adult Welcoming and Inclusion
Are you interested in improving the way your congregation welcomes, includes and serves young adults? Join our pilot project to access structured mentoring, guidance, webinars and resources to help you! Between January and June 2017, join other Canadian UU congregations to develop new approaches to young adult welcoming and integration.
This project is a partnership between the Canadian Unitarian Council, the Unitarian Church of Vancouver and the UU Ministers of Canada and is coordinated by Carly Gaylor and Asha Philar.
If you are interested in committing to the project, please read on for the project requirements, important dates and next steps. The deadline to register and complete the self-assessment process if January 31, 2017.
Questions? Comments? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to reach the project coordinators. We are looking forward to being on this journey with you and helping you make change in your local UU community.
What does this project involve?
Between January and June 2017, groups of 3-5 people in congregations will participate in a self-assessment, 2 webinars, a mentorship process, the implementation of at least 3 improvements, and a final evaluation. Project coordinators will provide concrete and personalized advice to help your congregation choose and implement changes that will improve how you welcome and include young adults.
What we would like from you:
- A team of 3-5 people to coordinate initiative within the congregation (minimum of 2)
- Completed self-assessment to get a sense of where your congregation is at with your young adult welcoming and inclusion – signed off on by board president, a lay leader or staff member, and at least 1 young adult
- Participation in 2 webinars (see dates below)
- Checking in with Carly or Asha between February and May
- Commitment to completing at least 3 tasks to help your congregation improve
- Completing an evaluation of the process and results at the end of the project
- Agreeing to have a “mystery shopper” young adult to assess your progress after completing the project (optional but very much encouraged!)
Estimated time commitment – between January and June, 2017
- Webinars: 1.5 hours each (3 hours total)
- Self assessment: 1-2 hours
- Mentoring and coaching: 1 hour
- Choosing and implementing 3 improvements: 5-10 hours between Feb and May
- Evaluation: 1 hour
- Registration for the project and self-assessment due: January 31, 2017
- First webinar (1.5 hours) – choose one of these dates:
- Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 4pm EST/ 5pm Atlantic/ 3pm CST/ 2pm MST/ 1pm PST
- Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 7:30 pm EST/ 8:30 Atlantic/ 6:30 CST/ 5:30 MST/ 4:30 PST
- Commitment to at least 3 improvements: February 28, 2017
- Mentoring/coaching, and implementation of improvements: Between February and April 2017
- Second Webinar (1.5 hours) – choose one of these dates:
- Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 4pm EST/ 5pm Atlantic/ 3pm CST/ 2pm MST/ 1pm PST
- Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 7:30 pm EST/ 8:30 Atlantic/ 6:30 CST/ 5:30 MST/ 4:30 PST
- Evaluation and mystery shopper young adult: May and June 2017
Self-Assessment Quiz: https://goo.gl/forms/kQub0psqrlMRZKsJ2
Register to participate in the project from January to June, 2017: