The Affordable Housing Monitoring Group was established to highlight the need for a National Housing Strategy that would ensure secure, adequate, accessible and affordable housing for Canadians. The goals of the Monitoring and Action Group are to:
- Identify Unitarians in Canadian congregations across the country interested in working on the issue of a national housing strategy.
- Develop a coordinated and strategic approach to influencing public policy related to a national housing strategy.
- Encourage congregations to become involved in education and advocacy activities including but not limited to letter-writing.
- Write letters and/or statements to government and media for signature of CUC President.
- Report to the annual meeting of the CUC on activities to date.
Actions and Issues
Stop the cuts! We need a national housing strategy now! Since the passing of our Affordable Housing Resolution in 2010, Unitarians, alongside many other housing advocates, have been calling for a National Housing Strategy. In 2009, Miloon Kothari, the UN … Continue reading
National Week of Action for Affordable Housing: November 22 – 29 FACT: Canada is still the only country in the G8 that does not have a national housing strategy, and the consequences have been dire. Housing insecurity is associated with poor health, … Continue reading
The CUC has agreed to set up a Monitoring and Action Group on Affordable Housing for a period of 5 years. Our goal is to identify at least one person from each congregation to participate in this group. Rev. Steven Epperson, of the Unitarian Church of Vancouver, has agreed to chair. Continue reading