The Affordable Housing Monitoring Group was established to highlight the need for a National Housing Strategy that would ensure secure, adequate, accessible and affordable housing for Canadians. The goals of the Monitoring and Action Group are to:
- Identify Unitarians in Canadian congregations across the country interested in working on the issue of a national housing strategy.
- Develop a coordinated and strategic approach to influencing public policy related to a national housing strategy.
- Encourage congregations to become involved in education and advocacy activities including but not limited to letter-writing.
- Write letters and/or statements to government and media for signature of CUC President.
- Report to the annual meeting of the CUC on activities to date.
Actions and Issues
Stop the cuts! We need a national housing strategy now! Since the passing of our Affordable Housing Resolution in 2010, Unitarians, alongside many other housing advocates, have been calling for a National Housing Strategy. In 2009, Miloon Kothari, the UN … Continue reading
National Week of Action for Affordable Housing: November 22 – 29 FACT: Canada is still the only country in the G8 that does not have a national housing strategy, and the consequences have been dire. Housing insecurity is associated with poor health, … Continue reading
The CUC has agreed to set up a Monitoring and Action Group on Affordable Housing for a period of 5 years. Our goal is to identify at least one person from each congregation to participate in this group. Rev. Steven Epperson, of the Unitarian Church of Vancouver, has agreed to chair.